Thursday, May 13, 2010

There goes SQL Azures SSL support again


this morning, I tried accessing some Ms Access reports that have worked just fine in the past, and all of a sudden the gave the error "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value."

When I checked my c# clients and saw that they were all working fine I remembered seeing this post on MSDN forums. which told me to add "TrustServerCertificate=true" to my connection string. I had done that back then, and that was what was making my c# clients work, so I needed a way to add that to my ODBC parameters.

Thank G-D, I recently switched the way that I have my clients specify ODBC parameters on their personal computers.

I destribute a *.reg file which creates a User DSN on their computer.
Then all of my ODBC connections refer to that DSN, knowing that it will definitely exest on their computer or I can just instruct them to run the *.reg file.

So this morning all I had to do was figure out the correct syntaxt for "TrustServerCertificate=true" in ODBC and redistribute the *.reg file and instruct all of my clients to rerun the file.

the file now looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00


NameOfDSN"="SQL Server Native Client 10.0"

replacing NameOfDSN with the actual name of the DSN and NameOfMyServer with the actual name of the server

I hope this helps someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment